Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A lady stole my boots

Not going to lie, I enjoyed the sudden and brief popularity brought on by my BINGO cards.  Thanks for the love, all.

Today was The Gibbon's birthday celebration.  Five!  Woo hoo!  Since I find throwing kid birthday parties more stressful than rewarding, we're experimenting with the "King for a Day" birthday model, whereby the birthday child gets to make the decisions we parents usually make.  For example, what to eat, when to go to bed, where to go, and who to see.  In the future, there will probably be a budget to work within, but not this year.  The Gibbon still gets confused by numbers over 35.

We originally planned for swimming, but The Sparrow is sick, and nobody thought taking a sick 2 year-old to the pool would be fun.  We tried to arrange for The Gibbon to go swimming at night with Auntie A, but the scheduling didn't work out.  So instead, we went to Pump It Up, he watched movies during naptime, we all went out to dinner at 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, and Auntie A took him out to a movie at the theatre after dinner.

Pump it up was great fun.  It's a giant inflatables place.  And they do Preschool play from 9:30 to 11 AM every week day.  What a great idea!  Also, more fun places should have that kind of schedule. 

The baby slept through the entire morning (I know, right?!), so I just jumped and played with the bigger littles and chatted with a couple of other moms.  When it was time to go, I went to the cubbies to get our stuff, and my boots weren't where I left them.  I spotted them 2 rows down.  No big deal.  Then the boots don't feel right.  I looked at the bottoms to see if I had them on the wrong feet (because sometimes I do that), and immediately realized they weren't my boots.  Same brand, same style, different size, and mine got resoled this summer.  Not.  My.  Boots.

I ran out to the lobby, looking at everyone's feet and shouting.  Yes, I'm the crazy lady!  In stocking feet!  Waving boots in the air!!  Gone. 

Then one of the employees noticed me acting weird.  "Did someone take your boots?" she asked?  Turns out the other mom had gotten home, realized she had the wrong boots on, and called.  She came right back (just enough time for me to feed the baby, who conveniently started to fuss right as they kicked us out).  And as luck would have it, she was one of the moms I had chatted with earlier.  Her comment was, "Oh!  I'm glad it was you!"  Not sure about that one.  But I'll take it.

Yay happy ending.  Also, the burgers were great.

No comments:

Post a Comment