Thursday, January 2, 2014

On the Menu!

I totally promise that I've been doing my meal plans.  I haven't been posting them, but I have been DOING them.  So, C- for execution, but B+ for effort!  I'm good at typing with one hand while nursing the baby, but our computer now requires me to type while holding the keyboard, and clearly that isn't going to happen while nursing. 

Onward.

Wednesday- So Very Fancy Vegetarian Cassoulet.  AKA Skillet potatoes with random vegetables. 
Sautee a diced onion in hot oil. 
Add garlic after a couple of minutes. 
Then throw in diced potatoes, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and/or as much of whatever vegetables you have on hand as you can fit in your pan. 
Add also some wine. (I used the dregs of three separate bottles, two white and one red.  So fancy!) 
Salt and pepper and one or more herbs (dried thyme here). 
Vegetable or chicken broth would be nice, but I didn't have any handy and couldn't be bothered to get the bullion from the fridge. 
Cover to cook faster, uncover to reduce the liquid.  Throw a little water in your pan if it looks like it's getting too dry. 
Stir in a can of white beans now or later. 
When everything is cooked and hot hot hot, turn off the heat and toss in a couple big handfuls of some kind of bitter green (rapini has been on sale here, so that what I did). 
Serve with big hunks of French bread for everyone and glasses of wine for the grown-ups.

Thursday- Corn chowder.  With maybe some sliced carrots and nothing else on the side, because it's snowing and I'm not going to haul the littles out shopping in this mess.

Friday- Black beans and butternut squash with Mexican flavors (cumin, garlic, chili, lime, cilantro, and maybe tomatoes).  Over brown rice.

Saturday- White bean soup with a ham hock.  Buns.

Sunday- Crock pot chili.  Maybe leftover buns, if I've got them.

Monday- Eggplant parmesan.  Pasta with red sauce and homemade meatballs.

Tuesday- Probably going out.  Otherwise, grilled cheese and a salad.

Also, FWIW, I've given myself a pass on the homemade bread until The Baby is 6 months old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment