Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Week Plan Wednesday

I totally proselytized to the nurse at my midwife's office about my amazing broccoli salad.  No joke.  And I gave her my blog URL, too, in case she couldn't remember the recipe.  Yay!

Now that you've got that piece of information, I think it's safe to share here that I am totally craving everything made with mayonnaise.  Not like I'm eating mayo straight out of the jar with a spoon.  But every day around 3 pm, I start to *need* some potato salad.  And when we hit lunch time, I'm like "A BLT would be nice.  Or tuna salad sandwich.  Or what's that pasta thing with the cherry tomatoes and the mayonnaise dressing?"  Which leads directly into:

Wednesday- Warm potato salad with spinach and mustard dressing.  Reheated take-out chicken brought by my FIL.  Raw carrots and bell peppers.  It's a RECIPE!  Please see below. 

Thursday- Black bean and Bell Pepper soup.  Cornbread.

Friday- Crock pot roast beef with turnips, potatoes, and carrots.  Steamed asparagus.  Because it was 89 cents a pound.  I'll be you can guess the other two vegetables that were cheap this week.  I'll give you a hint, each occurs 3 times in the menu!

Saturday- Baked Zucchini, roasted cauliflower (it's got mayonnaise on it), steak, buns.

Sunday- Garlic spinach saute and poached eggs over toast, inspired by this recipe.  Raw bell peppers.

 Monday- Homemade pizzas, a big old salad.

Tuesday- Minestrone soup with spinach and parsley.  Bread.

Baby Needs Mustard Potato Salad
Cook cut up potatoes in salted water, and right after you drain the potatoes, stick them back in their pot and throw in a bunch of spinach (chopped if it's really big pieces).  Stir the spinach and potatoes together, then slap the lid back on and let it sit while you make your dressing.  You can use literally any potato salad recipe you have handy (omitting any weird things like pickles or relish), but I just sort of eyeballed and threw together 1 part mustard, 1 part apple cider vinegar, chopped green onion, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and (yes) 2 parts mayonnaise.  Since you always taste your dressing with a piece of what you're planning to dress with it, dunk a piece of potato in the dressing to see if it's good before you commit yourself.  Adjust with more salt or vinegar or mustard (or mayo) as needed.  Then pour, mix, and eat warm, because who can wait for something delicious to cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment